Scrolling text Gif

Scrolling text Gif

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

++++INLOADING DATAFILE 085++++ Sicarian Infiltrator/Ruststalker WIP 1.0

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been busy cleaning out my apartment to make room for more stuff and with several new computer games.  I'd recommend Dungeon of the Endless to anyone who has a spare day and enjoys falling into rabbit holes.

That said I have had some recent hobby progress, notably my conversions of Sicarian Infiltrators to make them look more like IG-88 from Star Wars.  My original idea was to use Imperial Guard Mortar Shells for the basis of the head, this was a terrible idea as they are way too small for it.  Sometimes you need to actually have the models in hand to realize that an idea sucks.

But in the process of getting the mortar rounds out of my bitz box an ancient special weapons sprue from Necromunda fell out of the box (literally) before me and I had the perfect bit.  Its the macehead to the power maul from the Redemptionists gang.  After trimming down some spikes to make them into eye lenses and lopping off the handle it was ready to get mounted.


See the resemblance? 



The big problem after I did the test model's head was that I only had one power maul bit, so after a few minutes of trying to figure out any alternatives I just decided to make my own from scratch.  This took the rest of the afternoon, but came out pretty well.


The first one I made is on the right, the second on the left.  The sizes were a bit off from what I was aiming for, but the look was good.  I especially like the one on the left, the shape of the head screams robot.  The eye lenses come from chopping the barrels of lasguns and flamers into tiny bits, as well as chopping up some IG bayonets and the fins from a mortar shell.  The antennae is part of the scope on a standard lasgun.  You can do just about anything with the right bits and a little creativity.


Here is the first test model all put together, I chopped Head #1 down to size and altered its mounting to the neck.  I ended up going to town with the lenses and doodads on the head, but I'm a proponent of the traditional "visible inner workings" look to AdMech stuff.

The pose with the weapons isn't final, but I've run into a problem as I can't figure out how to make the weapons interchangeable.  The components seem to be too small to magnetize or pin successfully, the pins keep falling out.  Has anyone had more success with this than I have?  I'd love to be able to use the same minis for all of the weapons loadouts (Which I never do normally with my models, for this unit I want to though as they look cool enough and the combo kits allow it.).




More hobby stuff will be done over the weekend and tomorrow, I plan to get back around to painting stuff again soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment