Alright so it's been over 6 months since I've been active here, I've been busy with work and with getting settled into my new role and unit with the national guard. I left the terrible gym I used to work for and now I'm working for Boston Sports Club, a relatively high end place where I actually am paid decently for my work.
But enough of that boring crap, you people are here for one thing one thing only: miniatures.
So the last few months have seen a slow uptick in my conversion work, so there are lots of things to show. To start things off today I want show the current in progress shots of my new Chaos Defiler conversion.
I don't know about you but I've always found the current defiler model to be extraordinarily static and dull, which is sad because its a great concept it's just hampered by the casting technology that gw had back in the early 2000s.
So I approached this conversion with two goals in mind:
1. Make the model more dynamic so it seems truly "possessed".
2. Make it seem like it belongs standing next to the newer daemon engine models.
To make the model look more like it belongs next to the newer daemon engines I decided to make it less "upright" and more hunched over and menacing. To do this I have lenghened the turret by adding a seperate power plant section behind the traditional turret and I've built a "neck".
So this is where I stand so far. I had intended to use the thunder fire cannon as just the base for the battle cannon with a more traditional barrel, but it looks so badass this way that I'm tempted to leave it as is. Thoughts?
Now as you can see the neck has been built by using some of the armor plates from the kit to create a segmented armored look. This is a technique I discovered online, I've expanded on it by adding a juggernaught's body to create a biomechanical fully articulated neck like all other GW and FW daemon engines seem to have.
The actual head will be based on the Defiler's traditional head.
Here is another picture with different contrast so you can see the plastics better. Does anyone have a good solution to the issues inherent in photographing white resin?
To make the model more dynamic and aggressive I've changed the mounting site for the forward "crab claw" arms onto the neck. This helped fill in a gap in the conversion and it also will let me create the appearance that the defiler is less of a machine and more if a ravenouse beast, the torso will be tilted forwards on the finished model so that the gun mounts are positioned above the claw arms and the head appears to be sniffing the ground in search of prey.
Here you can see just how much the visual profile of the defiler has been altered by these changes.
So there is still plenty of work to be done, but the hard part of figuring the conversion out is done. More on this guy to come for sure.
Here is a side shot. In case you were wondering the power plant comes from an old AT-43 model.
His mom makes him where a neck guard everywhere...