Scrolling text Gif

Scrolling text Gif

Monday, November 10, 2014

++++INLOADING DATAFILE 053++++ Chaos Hellblade WIP 1

So I have gotten two games in with my Chaos Renegades. I am having a blast with the army so far, the three main things I have learned to date are:

1. Line of sight blocking terrain is REALLY important in this edition.
2. Buildings with multiple stories are just plain stupid. I played vs a marine army which fit the whole force on the 2nd or third story of a building 8" from his table edge. There is no feasible way to assault that if you have a massed infantry army, but that's what I get for not suggesting we set up differently or that we play a mission rather than kill points.
3. I need some anti-air units. 

I have had a Hellblade for a few years but never bothered putting it together.
The model

 It's a great kit, I just didn't enjoy 6th enough to build it. Now that my L&TD have a "codex" again though I decided to build a few of these awesome jets.

If any of you follow Dave Taylor's blog you may have seen his Locust Chaos Fighter conversion from a few years ago. Using this as basic inspiration I started converting a second Hellblade, and here it is.

Surprisingly this is after a single evening and afternoon spent on this thing, it's coming along quite fast. Sadly I am now all out of superglue so the rest has to wait.

 Here it is by the actual Forgeworld model. It's a little larger, but that was determined by the size of the drop pod stabilizers more than anything else.

 Getting the positioning and angle of the "wings" in relation to the cockpit was the hardest part. As you can see at the very start the model didn't fit together as well.

 The detailing has begun on the upper fuselage. All the lines around the cockpit are because I used a bunch of scraps to make this layer. It's actually way easier to make a very complex layer of plasticard from a bunch of smaller pieces as you can cut each to fit a different part of the layer rather than working really hard to cut a perfect single piece. The seams are easy to cover up later on with greenstuff.

Side profile.

 The air intake was made using some 'metal siding' styrene sheeting I picked up last week on a whim. So much easier than making each vertical slit on it's own.

 The bottom has yet to be detailed at all. More on this guy later.


I worked on it a bit more today before class, managing to squeeze just a tiny bit more glue out.  As you can see I've started working on the details.

The rivets are achieved by placing a very thin sheet of plasticard with pushed out rivets on top of a thicker "shape" layer.  Its the simplest and quickest way to rivet a vehicle model I've found, though anyone with other recommendations I'd be happy to learn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment