Scrolling text Gif

Scrolling text Gif

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

++++INLOADING DATAFILE 043++++ Chaos Contemptor WIP

This is an in progress look at my Word Bearers Contemptor Dreadnought. I began this model many months ago and like most other things it stalled out over the summer. Now I'm back on the horse and it's mostly done.

First off the current rules for a Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought, while pricey, are amazing! With an extra hull point and wonky 'ignores glancing hits on a 4+' save and armor 13/12/11 this thing can wade through a ton of the kinds of firepower you tend to see in the current meta. I'm very curious to see what they do with it in the upcoming Chaos IA book. I decided to arm him with a Butcher Cannon, Soulburner, and Havoc Launcher.






I started with a Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought and startedodifying the kit to be heavily warped and corrupted to fit in with the rest of my Word Bearers Host. The chest is part of a Juggernaught of Khorne, the pelvis and horn crests are from a Hellbrute, the knees are from an Daemonprince, and the clawed feet are from a Tomb Kings Necrosphinx.





As you can see the torso has been substantially bulked up with green stuff to blend with the new chest plate. The tubes are inspired from the really old style of Chaos Dreadnought you never see anymore.

The horn crest needed to be cut and reworked a bit to fit the new model, and it still needs se additional blending with the rest of the model. It also created a conundrum on how to incorporate the Havoc Launcher as the horns block the missile rack from going on top. I solved this by cutting a space for the havoc launcher within his chest, which so far has come out pretty cool looking I think.

For the Head all I've done is add some horns and give him evil-er eyes with green stuff, though that's hard to tell at this angle. His muzzle also has teeth mutating out of it, but again that isn't showing up in these photos well.






The Butcher Cannon is an extreme kit bash and is much larger that I originally had planned for it to be. In the end a 48" Str 8 AP 4 Heavy 4 gun has to be pretty damn big though. The main sources of bits for this part were a Dreadknight. Hellbrute, and the Contemptor kits. The ammo boxes are from the original Land Raider Crusader kit and have been in my bits box for years, I finally found a use for them!

You probably noticed that one of this model's themes is the part-organic-part-mechanical-all-evil style of the newer Chaos kits. I a stickler for having unified visual themes within my armies, hence why older kits like the defiler irk me with how they are such a different visual style to the newer kits.





The Close Combat arm actually wasn't planned originally like this, but once I saw how massive the Butcher Cannon was the standard close combat arm just looked tiny by comparison. Thankfully I had a Conversion Beamer arm lying around and decided that it would make a great basis for a Soul Burner.

As an aside, the Decimator model is a terrible kit IMO. having worked on one I can say that the limbs are too small, very inarticulate, and hard to keep together while the guns themselves look like crap. The Soulburner is a tube with some pointy things on one end for crying out loud. Definately the ugly duckling of the forgeworld range, but it has really amazing rules.

The hand is built out of an extra lower leg I had from another Contemptor Dreadnought and looks ok, but honestly this is the only part of the model which I am really dissatisfied with right now. I'll probably redo it later on.






From behind you can see that I had to make the torso a bit taller at the waste because of the larger chest. You can also see the in progress musculature-hydrolics of the legs, though again I apologize for how poorly they came out in this lighting.

Ok that's enough for now, what do you guys think of it so far? Any recommendations for how I can make the close combat arm almost as cool as the butcher cannon arm?

No comments:

Post a Comment